Australian Expat Case Study
Tim is 27 years of age and has just moved to China where he envisages that he will spend the next 5 years of his life. Tim envisages he will be able to save around $100,000 AUD per year. Before departing Australia for China, Tim purchased a house. He is now renting the house.
- Ascertain Tim’s Australian tax residency status.
- Determine a strategy to send money back to Australia at a favourable exchange rate.
- Look at investing in Australian equities. This will take advantage of the capital gains tax exemption.
- Determine whether personal insurance policies are still valid while living in China.
- Consider possible gearing.
" I have been very impressed with the service that Chris Humphrey has supplied. He was able to take my complicated tax and insurance situation and provide a clear and concise investment strategy. The personal service that Chris has given me has been greatly appreciated. "
Michael Oberhardt - Principal Geologist at Arrow Energy