Australian Expat Case Study
Tim is 27 years of age and has just moved to China where he envisages that he will spend the next 5 years of his life. Tim envisages he will be able to save around $100,000 AUD per year. Before departing Australia for China, Tim purchased a house. He is now renting the house.
- Ascertain Tim’s Australian tax residency status.
- Determine a strategy to send money back to Australia at a favourable exchange rate.
- Look at investing in Australian equities. This will take advantage of the capital gains tax exemption.
- Determine whether personal insurance policies are still valid while living in China.
- Consider possible gearing.
" Chris provided me with timely, extremely valuable, unbiased advice on a number of occasions. He is very skilled at understanding one's particular circumstances and tailoring the advice he gives accordingly. I have every confidence in his expertise and integrity and am happy that he is managing our financial affairs. "
Dr Penelope Brassey