Our financial planning advice is underpinned by our strong tax and accounting knowledge. We feel this knowledge is crucial in providing our business clients’ superior financial advice.
We are not tax accountants or business advisers but believe we can add value to our business clients’ financial affairs. We achieve this by providing tax advice ranging from the small business capital gains tax concessions to the taxation strategies embedded in our business succession planning and treasury function advice.
Small Business Capital Gains Tax Concessions
There are four small business concessions available to active business assets provided in the capital gains tax legislation. They include:
- 15 year exemption
- 50% active asset reduction
- Retirement exemption
- Rollover relief concession
From a financial planning perspective it is imperative that:
- The creation of any business or asset owning structure be made bearing in mind the potential future sale;
- These concessions are able to be utilised when business assets are sold; and
- Throughout the ownership and operation of the business assets, the correct advice is obtained so the availability of the concessions upon ultimate sale are never jeopardised.
Examples of jeopardising the small business concessions
- Not considering the small business capital gains tax concessions when choosing the structure for the business.
- Diluting your ownership of the business to under the minimum threshold level.
- The manner in which profits are distributed.
- Failing to sell your business prior to you exceeding the maximum assets test threshold.
" I contacted Chris Humphrey Private Wealth Management through a website enquiry seeking professional advice including a life insurance review. Chris took the time to fully understand my financial position, goals and needs to provide me with timely, relevant and easy to understand personal advice. This allowed me to make an informed decision about the types of insurance I really needed, my appropriate levels of cover and how to structure my cover to get the best value for my money."